20 December 2011

Christmas Gingerbread

I make gingerbread every year for Christmas, often as gifts to hang on the tree.

The last few years I've made a big batch of christmassy shaped biscuits to take into work and share around, especially as I'm work through the holidays.

I use the following recipe:


  • 125g butter, at room temperature
  • 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
  • 125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
  • 1 tbs ground ginger
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Depending on my audience I add double the ginger (I love ginger!) and this year I added some chopped "naked ginger" for an extra layer of flavour.

Cream the butter and sugar, add the yolks and golden syrup and beat some more, then add the dry ingredients. It doesn't feel like it will make a dough, and the dough ends up quite brittle, but after 30 minutes rest in the fridge it should be right to go.

Make a hole in the top of your shapes for ribbon if thats your plan. These were just for eating :)
I cut out snowflakes, stars, doves, angels, christmas trees and bells.


Bake at about 180oC for about 10 minutes,until they're are still soft but slightly browned.
Turn out onto a rack to cool, and they'll harden up but still have some give to them.
Cook for longer if you like them with bite!




I love the combination of ginger and white chocolate, so I coat most of them in melted good quallity white chocolate, leaving some bare for those who don't like it. I love the look of the draped chocolate as you pull them out of the gooey molten white chocolate.


Try not to eat them all until you've given them out as gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!