12 April 2010

Another BHP death. R.I.P.


There was another death at a BHP mine today, at Leinster.
My thoughts go out to his partner and kid, along with his workmates and those on the Emergency Response Team who worked so hard to try and save him.

Working underground isn't inherently more dangerous than doing anything else, but when things go wrong they tend to be harder to fix and more widely acknowledged. I feel much more exposed out bush than I ever did underground, and a friend of mine says she had more rocks hit her on the head in the open pit than when we worked together underground. But if something were to go wrong, its so much harder to save you. At least out bush I can just about always drive back out, or someone can drive to me. And the oxygen is never going to run out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!