18 February 2010

Laugavegaur Ultra Marathon



Blatenent advertising, but for a good cause, and something I think will be of interest.
My good friend from back home, and the other half of Vikis wedding, has taken it upon himself to run the Laugavegaur Ultra Marathon, in Iceland:


The distance from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmörk is approximately 55km. The course is multi-terrain; sand, gravel, grass, snow, ice, rivers and streams... and is well-marked with wooden markers to prevent you from getting lost. Hikers normally cover this distance in four days.

The record for the course is FOUR HOURS AND TWENTY MINUTES! 
I believe Als aim is to finish, But thats one hell of an aim!


I kind of blame myself. Al used to be a long distance cycling freak, then Viki and I entered the Liverpool HM back in 2006, and Al entered on whim, about 2 weeks before the race, ran it with litttle running fitness and beat me by a million miles. Or about an hour, I seem to remember...


It seems to have sparked something even more masochistic in Al though, because while Viki and I carried on jogging our little hearts out, Al started doing stupid things like running the Snowdon Marathon...


And now its 2010, and he's training hard to run the race and raise money for Mencap, a UK charity helping people with learning disabilities get the most out of life. After chatting with Viki recently, I found out quite how much training he was doing, and today convinced him to record his efforts for all to see. The aim is to raise awareness and keep his training motivation high.


So even if you don't support him financially (though justgiving- http://www.justgiving.com/alan-wood - is international, hint hint!) if this is of any interest to you, take a wander over to his blog and keep him in check and give him some of your wonderful support! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!